My daughter and I try to cut down on carbs, but yesterday I decided to give us a break. And it came out so good I’m writing it down:
- Half a package of thick bacon (4-5 pieces) cut to 1/2″ squares
- One very big onion chopped to 1/4″ pieces
- One small chorizo (5″ long) cut to 1/4″ cubes
- One tbsp butter
- Half basket baby bella mushrooms (4-5 good size mushrooms) sliced
- Optional – a few drops of white truffle oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp black pepper
- A pinch of smoked Habanero or red hot pepper
- One package of thin spaghetti
- Chopped parsley
- Beat eggs, add heavy cream and cheese and keep beating until uniform and smooth. Set aside.
- Set the pasta to cook pasta with some salt added to the water while continuing with the next steps.
- In a large pan on medium hear cook bacon until starts to get brown/crisp.
- Add onion, mushrooms and butter and cook until the onion starts to get translucent.
- Add chorizo and let all cook for 2-3 minutes while stirring.
- Add the black and hot peppers, truffle oil and the garlic, mix and set aside.
- Strain the cooked pasta, setting aside a cup of the cooking water.
- Mix the still hot pasta with the still hot bacon/onion/chorizo mix until the pasta is nicely coated.
- To the still pretty hot mix add the eggs/heavy cream/cheese mix and stir until uniform and creamy. Add some of the pasta cooking water if needed.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley. Add Parmesan and black pepper on top as desired.
* Note that no salt is added – the bacon, cheese and chorizo are salty, and the pasta is cooked in salty water, so usually there’s no need for any more salt.
Optional is adding cooked green peas at the end.
Please be advised that this should be enough for 4-6 people, try to refrain from eating it all by yourself, at least not in one sitting.